Install Tor Browser on Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS AWS Workspace)
- Download TOR tar package from https://www.torproject.org/download/ (Linux Version)
- It will usually save in Downloads folder, however if you have a different settings you will have to check in which folder the package downloaded.
- Go to terminal and search for such folder. In my case: ‘Downloads’ folder.
//START// $ cd /Downloads //END//
- After that, type the following command to extract the Tor setup file’s contents. :
//START// $ tar -xvJf tor-browser-linux64-9.0.10_en-US.tar.xz //END//
Disclaimer: [tor-browser-linux64-9.0.10_en-US.tar.xz] is the file name. It can be different if you are located in other country or you want it to be in a different language. In my case the name is en-US because I choose that specific package.
- Open the Tor browser’s directory
//START// $ cd tor-browser_language //END//
- My case:
$ cd tor-browser_en-US //
Where language is the language tag for your selected version of Tor, then press enter.
- Now run Tor, type:
$ ./start-tor-browser.desktop //
- Add Tor Browser to applications
$ ./start-tor-browser.desktop --register-app //
Any questions: follow me on twitter!