Welcome to CyberHygiene, our weekly newsletter, where we share tips and actionable data to help everyone stay safe online.
First time seeing this? Please subscribe.
1. Why should you be concerned about your digital footprint?
- The information and data you create and share online can have long-lasting effects on your privacy, reputation, and security.
- This includes sensitive personal information, such as financial and health records, as well as potentially damaging content, such as negative posts or comments.
- This information can be accessed, used, and shared by others without your knowledge or consent, potentially leading to identity theft, cyber bullying, or other forms of harm.
- Your digital footprint can impact your future opportunities, such as employment and education, as employers and admissions officers may use online information to make decisions.
2. What are the threats associated with digital footprints?
- Privacy invasion:
Personal information can be gathered and utilized for harmful objectives like theft of identity, cyber harassment, doxing, or fraud.
- Reputation damage:
Information shared online can impact one’s reputation and future prospects, particularly if it is false or embarrassing.
The things you do and say online can be utilized to bully, scare, or hurt others.
Overusing digital technology and social networks can have harmful effects on one’s mental well-being.
- Job or educational opportunities:
What you put online can impact your chances of being employed or accepted into educational institutions.
- Government surveillance:
Government agencies may monitor individuals’ digital footprints for national security or law enforcement purposes.
3. How to protect your digital footprint?
4. What resources are available to help you manage your digital footprint?
- The Technology Tail: A Digital Footprint Story by Julia Cook
- How to Disappear: Erase Your Digital Footprint, Leave False Trails, And Vanish Without A Trace by Frank Ahearn
- Cyber Privacy: Who Has Your Data and Why You Should Care by April Falcon Doss
- Extreme Privacy: What It Takes to Disappear by Michael Bazzell
- Don’t Let Your Digital Footprint Kick You in the Butt! by Stephanie Humphrey
- All the Ghosts in the Machine: The Digital Afterlife of your Personal Data by Elaine Kasket
- The New Dope: Take control of your digital footprint and avoid toxic behaviours by Damián Le Nouaille Diez
- Digital Footprint by Bob’s Business
- Foundation Certificate in Cyber Security by Cloud Academy
- Digital footprint awareness and training by TSC
- Cybersecurity: A Self-Defense Guide by Willian Blair
- Your digital footprint by TSC
- An Insider’s Digital Footprint and Associated Risks by CDSE
5. How to clean up your digital footprint?
For more content about cybersecurity and executives, visit:
Subscribe and Comment.
Copyright © 2023 CyberMaterial. All Rights Reserved.
This article was written by Marc R with the support of Team CyberMaterial, Sofia C. V., Nicolás P , Fabino R. D
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, and Medium.