ECRI is providing this abridged version of its 2022 Top 10 list of health technology hazards as a free public service to inform healthcare facilities about important safety issues involving the use of medical devices and systems.
The full report—including detailed problem descriptions and ECRI’s step-by-step recommendations for addressing the hazards—is available to members of ECRI programs through their membership web pages.
The List for 2022
1. Cybersecurity Attacks Can Disrupt Healthcare Delivery, Impacting Patient Safety
2. Supply Chain Shortfalls Pose Risks to Patient Care
3. Damaged Infusion Pumps Can Cause Medication Errors
4. Inadequate Emergency Stockpiles Could Disrupt Patient Care during a Public
5. Telehealth Workflow and Human Factors Shortcomings Can Cause
6. Failure to Adhere to Syringe Pump Best Practices Can Lead to Dangerous
Medication Delivery Errors
7. AI-Based Reconstruction Can Distort Images, Threatening Diagnostic Outcomes
8. Poor Duodenoscope Reprocessing Ergonomics and Workflows Put Healthcare
Workers and Patients at Risk
9. Disposable Gowns with Insufficient Barrier Protection Put Wearers at Risk
10. Wi-Fi Dropouts and Dead Zones Can Lead to Patient Care Delays,
Injuries, and Deaths